Thank you for taking interest in our club, its history and present activities!
The idea of founding a Rotary Club in Gmunden already existed in 1950. The foundation was carried out by RC Steyr and the first meeting was held on November 27, 1956. On January 7, 1957 the Rotary Club of Gmunden was approved by Rotary International and so the CHARTER celebrations took place on June 1 and 2, 1957. In those days the Club had 23 members, since then it has grown to a number of around 80.
For membership neither social rank nor position are decisive, but the willingness to actively support the principles and the humanitarian aim of Rotary. Beside friendship among our club-members the advancement of international understanding is of great importance to us. So we have two PARTNER CLUBS, the Rotary Club of Bayreuth (Germany), and the Rotary Club of Legnago (Italy).
YOUTH SERVICE is playing an important role in our Club as well. Every year young people from all over the world are hosted and supported by the families of our members, thus enabling them to take part in one of the numerous Rotarian youth programmes. We are also proud of having founded an Interact Club (Rotarian youth club) in our town as early as 1966, later followed by the Charter of Rotaract Club Salzkammergut, the link between Interact and Rotary for young adults.
The Rotary Club of Gmunden has promoted the Rotarian idea by acting as a FOUNDING CLUB for three further Clubs: RC Vöcklabruck-Attersee (1974), RC Cheb/Eger (Czech Republic, 1991) and RC Gmunden-Traunsee (2009).
The permanent PROJECTS of our Club include the support of the SOS Children's Village Altmünster, two funds for the vocational training of children of the Children's Village, the support of the worldwide End Polio Now project of Rotary International, and the leadership in a district-wide water project in Uganda. Additionally we initiate and support local social and cultural activities.